The Japanese Friendship Garden San Kei En is an oasis of serenity amidst the buzzing activity of Balboa Park. It is full of beautiful details, plants, water features including a Koi pond, nice paths, and art. For our July 2019 activity, please join us for a contemplative walk through the garden with our vice chair Alexander S. Kunz.
- Date & Time: Saturday, July 20th, 2019; 10 AM
- Address: 2215 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101 (Balboa Park, north-east of Spreckels Organ Pavillon)
- Meeting time: 9:45 AM at the front entrance (garden opens at 10 AM)
- Admission: $12 ($1 discount per person if we’re more than 10 people)
- Rules: no props – no models; only cameras & tripods allowed; stay on pathways and don’t block them for other visitors; be courteous (ie. make room for other visitors if you’re in the way with your tripod and/or camera) and respect the peace and quiet of the place.
The many details, plants and intimate settings of the garden invite exploration with any kind of lens and camera setup. Alexander finds it most enjoyable to walk the garden with a lightweight, fast prime lens, or his macro lens. A standard zoom or telezoom lens will work equally well, of course.
Heads-up: New date for Milky Way/Night Photography
We had to postpone our June 2019 activity due to cloud coverage on our chosen day. The new date for this activity is August 31st, 2019, 8:30 PM at Cuyamaca Lake. We’ll add a new invite when the date gets closer but if you’re interested, you can already put it in your calendars. 🙂
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.