You are invited to join our vice president Alexander S. Kunz for our October 2019 activity: sunrise photos at the tide pools of Hospital Point in La Jolla. Please continue reading if you’re interested.
The La Jolla tide pools at Hospital Point with their fascinating bedrock full of channels, tide falls, potholes, puddles and concretions are one of the most-photographed features of the San Diego coast line. Most photographs are made there at sunset, but sunrise can be an equally or even more rewarding time, even though we’re facing away from the rising sun: the tide pool features will be in even light, and the dawn sky to the west won’t be as bright – offering a more controllable contrast range for photographs.
- Date & Time:
- Location: La Jolla Tide Pools (Google Maps), Coast Boulevard, La Jolla, CA
- Street parking, no admission
- No RSVP is necessary – be there and join the fun!
In addition to your camera (always helpful to have that one!), Alexander suggests the following gear for this activity:
- Wide angle lens (full frame: 16-35mm or similar, crop: 12-24mm or similar)
- Neutral density filters for longer exposure times to blur the water (3-stop/6-stop, 10-stop for really long exposures)
- Polarizing filter to control glare, if needed (polarizers also add between 1.5 and 2.5 stops of exposure time)
- Remote/cable release
Hope to see you there!