Our April 2020 meeting will be different. It’s the first online meeting of our club using Zoom video conferencing. Due to the technical restrictions, our online meetings can not be open to the general public and are limited to our members, only (you can join the Photo Section, of course!). More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings.
While we will invite outside presenters again in the future, the first online presentation is coming from Photo Section chair Alexander S. Kunz, who will present story and images from his various visits to Algodones Dunes.
About 2 1/2 hours east of San Diego lies the largest dunes ecosystem in the United States: 45 miles long and 6 miles wide, the Algodones or Imperial Sand Dunes have been the awe-inspiring backdrop to many movies, including Stargate and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. In winter, the central part of the dunes attracts thousands of off-roaders but in the summer’s scorching desert heat, it’s possible to find this vast landscape almost undisturbed and seemingly unspoiled by human touch.
Timing his visits with monsoon storms, Alexander photographed the extreme environment of dunes in summer heat and under brooding and dramatic skies during multiple visits in 2014, 2015 and 2016. In his presentation, he will talk about the challenges and obstacles he faced, and also share an insight into the creative black & white processing of his images, using Adobe Lightroom Classic.
Here are some of the photos from the presentation. There’s more on Alexander’s website.
MemberShare will occur after the intermission & drawing. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- No maximum resolution but anything larger than 3000 x 2000 is unnecessary
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, April 17th 2020, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format (vertical!) headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
- Zoom Online Video Meeting for Members Only
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, April 18th, 2020
- 1.30 PM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 2 PM start of meeting & main presentation