You are invited to the July 2019 meeting of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter Photo Section on Saturday, July 13th, 2019, at the Serra Mesa/Kearny Mesa Library Community Room, from 2 PM to 4 PM (complete details at the bottom of this article).
This month, we’re continuing our ‘summer tradition’ with another Improve Your Skills meeting, bringing you compressed bits of photographic knowledge, easy to understand and absorb, in short segments.
1. Camera Basics – Metering & Exposure (Alexander S. Kunz)
Vice chair Alexander S. Kunz will talk about the essentials of metering and exposure. Understand how your camera’s metering works for better exposures, including the expose to the right principle; learn about the exposure triangle; and get an idea about what the heck a stop is!
2. Flash Photography (Steve Cirone)
Our president Steve Cirone will go further and deepen your knowledge of exposure, expanding photographic possibilities with flash: “How Using Flash with Manual Exposure Mode Can Make Good Photos in Impossibly Dark Situations.”
3. Perspective, Point of View & Scale (Peter Tellone)
Professional writer and photographer Peter Tellone will look into why we choose different lenses and explain to us what the differences between Perspective, Point of View and Scale are in photography.
Intermission and MemberShare – Immediately Following
After the main presentation, we will have a brief intermission and our members only free drawing – every section member present at the meeting will receive a free ticket for the drawing, with a chance to win prices and giveaways from our supporters.
MemberShare will occur after the intermission. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, July 12th, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format (vertical) headshot with your photos!
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Location, Date & Time
- Serra Mesa Kearny Mesa Library, Community Room
- Address: 9005 Aero Drive, San Diego, CA 92123
- Date: Saturday, July 13 9th, 2019
- Time: 1:00pm setup & get together, 2pm begin of meeting
Mandatory disclaimer: This program is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the San Diego Public Library. The Library is not responsible for the information presented in this program.
If you like to become a member of Sierra Club San Diego Chapter’s Photo Section or renew your membership, you can easily do in our online store (powered by Square). We also have membership forms at the meetings if you want to sign up or renew in person.
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.