We invite all members of the Sierra Club San Diego’s Photo Section to our July 2021 online meeting. Just like every year in summer, the motto is “Improve Your Skills” once more in July and we have two short presentations of about 30 minutes each where you can learn about photographic concepts and techniques.
Meeting date and time are at the end of this invitation.
To join the online meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Membership for the entire year of 2021 is only $25 and can be purchased online. The Zoom link to join the meeting will be sent to members a few days ahead of the meeting, via our mailing list.
Session 1: Easy Exposure Blending with Lawrence Pallant
Even with our modern digital camera sensors that have an incredible dynamic range, we encounter scenes with such high contrast that it is either difficult to capture them in a single frame, or the results do not look good when developed from a single exposure — the shadows might be too noisy, the transitions have halos, highlights might be losing color accuracy.
The solution is of course to blend multiple exposures and our member Lawrence Pallant will show us an easy way to accomplish that in Photoshop, using luminosity masks. He’ll compare this with the results you can achieve in Lightroom alone to show the differences between the two approaches.
Session 2: Introduction to Infrared Photography with Alexander S. Kunz
Many older camera bodies get revived with an infrared conversion. Infrared photography produces fascinating, otherworldly looking results, but it has its own unique challenges.
In this session, SCPS chair Alexander S. Kunz will explain the basics of infrared camera conversions, the problems of infrared photography and how to work around them, as well as the basics of processing infrared images.
After the main presentation, we’ll take a short break before we continue with our MemberShare. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, July 16th, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
- Zoom Online Video Meeting (for members only)
- More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, July 17, 2021
- 1.45 PM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 2 PM start of meeting and main presentation
To attend the meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Our memberships run for the duration of the calendar year. Membership is only $25 and available online. Take a look at our membership page to learn more.
See you at the meeting!