We invite all members of the Photo Section to join our June 2020 online meeting, featuring fine art landscape & nature photographer Charlotte Gibb with her presentation Get Intimate: Making a Personal Statement with Intimate Landscapes.
We hope for your understanding that our current online meetings are for members only, but you can still join the Photo Section – Zoom invites will be sent to members just a few days ahead of the meeting. Thank you!
Get Intimate: Making a Personal Statement with Intimate Landscapes
Like any other skill, training the eye and mind to see beyond the grand landscape takes practice. That’s why Intimate Landscapes challenge the photographer’s creativity, and can ultimately lead to work that is authentic and truly original.
In this presentation, we’ll explore ways to create photographs that convey your own unique connection with nature and reflect your own personal vision. I share all I know about photography, art, and design to offer new ways of seeing the landscape and telling your visual story. From how to approach a subject to which compositional tools to use, you’ll be shown how to see differently in the field, and to make images that are not only captivating, but also lasting, satisfying and a source of pride.
Charlotte earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in graphic design from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. She began her career in the advertising business as an art director in the 1990s, then operated her own graphic design firm for 15 years before selling the business and immersing into the craft of photography. Her traditional darkroom has since been replaced with digital darkroom tools, and her style has moved from a journalistic approach to one that pays tribute to the natural world.
Frequently symbolic, and with an eye towards the subtle and sometimes overlooked elements of nature, her photographs are not meant to be pretty postcards, but rather frames that celebrate nature’s form, line, shape, color, and texture. Again and again, she returns to both well-known and lesser known places to observe the changes brought about by the seasons, light and weather. Everything she knows about the technology of modern photography combines with her artistic aesthetic to create images that show the natural world differently.
Charlotte writes and publishes on the subject of photography and creativity, keynotes for several photography events, serves as judge for many photography competitions, and exhibits her work throughout California. She can usually be found tromping with her camera bag in the wilderness areas around her home state, the Sierra Nevada range, and Yosemite National Park.
Here are some example photos of Charlotte’s work, from the presentation:
After the main presentation, we’ll take a short break before we continue with our MemberShare. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- No maximum resolution but anything larger than 3000 x 2000 is unnecessary
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, June 19th 2020, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format (that. means. vertical!) headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
- Zoom Online Video Meeting (for members only)
- More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, June 20th, 2020
- 1.30 PM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 2 PM start of meeting & main presentation