We invite all members of the Sierra Club San Diego’s Photo Section to our June 2021 online meeting with landscape photographer, climber and mountaineer Matt Payne from Colorado and his talk “Mountain Photography – Tricks, Tips, and Tribulations”. Please continue reading if you’re interested.
Meeting date and time are at the end of this invitation.
To join the online meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Membership for the entire year of 2021 is only $25 and can be purchased online. The Zoom link to join the meeting will be sent to members a few days ahead of the meeting, via our mailing list.
Mountain Photography – Tricks, Tips, and Tribulations
Mountain photography can be one of the most rewarding ways to engage with nature and to obtain unique and powerful images. In his presentation, Matt Payne showcases some of his work from his journey to climb the highest 100 mountains in Colorado and shares tips and tricks to help you envision how to capture mountains. The presentation includes information relating to more practical aspects of this style of image-making, as well as artistic and aesthetic considerations. We will also allow plenty of time for Q&A.
Matt Payne is a landscape photographer living in Durango, Colorado, USA. Much of his photography has focused on his life-long goal to climb the 100 highest mountains in Colorado, which he completed in 2018.
Matt is a co-founder of the Nature First Photography Alliance and the Natural Landscape Photography Awards and hosts a weekly podcast about Nature and Landscape Photography called “F-Stop Collaborate and Listen.”
Here are example photos from the presentation. You can find a lot more on Matt’s own website at https://www.mattpaynephotography.com/
After the main presentation, we’ll take a short break before we continue with our MemberShare. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, June 18th, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
- Zoom Online Video Meeting (for members only)
- More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, June 19, 2021
- 1.45 PM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 2 PM start of meeting and main presentation
To attend the meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Our memberships run for the duration of the calendar year, so it is still a great time to join us. Membership is only $25 and available online. Take a look at our membership page to learn more.
See you at the meeting!