We invite all Photo Section members to our March 2021 online meeting and are excited to have fine art photographer Cole Thompson from Colorado with his talk “Why Black & White?” as our speaker this month. Please continue reading if you’re interested.
Meeting date and time are at the end of this invitation.
To join the online meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Membership is only $25 and can be purchased online. The Zoom link to join the meeting will be sent to members a few days ahead of the meeting via our mailing list.
Why Black & White?
In about one hour, Cole Thompson will make the case that black and white is the perfect medium for any subject… except for one. Cole will show work from his various portfolios, including: The Ghosts of Auschwitz-Birkenau; Harbinger; Ceiling Lamps; Moai, Sitting for Portrait; The Lone Man, and others.
Interspersed between the images Cole will share his photographic philosophies, such as: Never listen to others; Photographic Celibacy; Cole’s Rule of Thirds; Equipment is overrated; Vision is the most important tool in my toolbox; and many others!
At the end of his presentation Cole will answer questions and give away a print of The Angel Gabriel:
Cole Thompson is, in his own words, uniquely unqualified to speak on photography: “I’ve never taken a photography class or a workshop. I don’t have a degree in art. I’ve never worked as a photographer. I don’t have gallery representation. I’m not a Canon Explorer of Light. And I only have three lenses and none of them are primes. Do I have any qualifications? Just one… my images. Nothing else matters.”
Here are example photos from Cole’s various projects. You can find a lot more on his website at https://colethompsonphotography.com/
After the main presentation, we’ll take a short break before we continue with our MemberShare. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, March 19th, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
To attend the meeting, you must be a member of the Photo Section. Our memberships run for the duration of the calendar year, so it is still a great time to join us. Membership is only $25 and available online. Take a look at our membership page to learn more.
- Zoom Online Video Meeting (for members only)
- More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021
- 1.45 PM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 2 PM start of meeting and main presentation
See you at the meeting!