We invite all members of the Photo Section to join our September 2020 online meeting, featuring British landscape photographer, instructor and book author David Ward, with his presentation “Overlooked”. Please note that this meeting starts at 10 AM to accommodate our presenter, who is in a different time zone. Continue reading if you’re interested. Meeting date and time are at the end of the invitation.
We hope for your understanding that our current online meetings are for members only, but you can still join the Photo Section – Zoom invites will be sent to members just a few days ahead of the meeting. Thank you!
For over a century, landscape photography has been more often than not wed to “the big view”, typified by images like Ansel Adams’ “Clearing Winter Storm”. In his talk David wants to praise more modest views, intimate views of anonymous places, and he will tell us why they have fascinated him for thirty years.
About David Ward
David Ward is one of Britain’s most notable landscape photographers. His eye for shape and form is without equal and produces work that is startling in its clarity and intensity.
He became fascinated by photography in his late teens and was accepted for the prestigious Film & Photographic Arts course at PCL in London, where he was a student of Victor Burgin. David graduated with a BA Hons in 1983. He has now spent thirty years travelling the world with his large format camera. His eye for colour and form is without equal and he produces work that is startling in both its clarity and intensity.
As well as numerous articles, David has written two critically acclaimed books on his craft; Landscape Within (2004) & Landscape Beyond (2008). Through a series of essays, he explores the medium’s history and looks at deeper philosophical questions about art and photography.
David is also a passionate educator who loves to share his knowledge and insights through lectures and workshops.
You can find his work online on his website at http://www.into-the-light.com and on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/davidwardphotos
Here are some example photos of David’s work, from the presentation:
After the main presentation, we’ll take a short break before we continue with our MemberShare. Here’s a quick reminder of the guidelines and procedure:
- Send up to five photos via Dropbox file request.
- Please send only JPEG files, sRGB color space
- Minimum resolution: 1920 pixels wide or 1080 pixels high (whichever comes first)
- Prepare to speak no more than 10-20 seconds on each photo
- We’re a photo club – please share only your original photographs with us (no CGI, digital art, etc.)
- Deadline for MemberShare submissions: Friday, September 18th 2020, 6pm
- Nameplates: feel free to include a portrait format headshot with your photos
To submit your images, simply click this button:
If you need help or if there’s anything unclear about this procedure, the Dropbox help article on file requests contains everything you need to know.
NOTE: Your photos are only shown during MemberShare and will be deleted afterwards. We do not keep copies. There is no need to watermark your photos. If you feel that you must add a logo or other overlay, please keep it small and unobtrusive.
Also, please do not wait until the very last minute to submit the photos you want to share. We need time to prepare the image presentation. When the MemberShare is especially popular, we may have to reduce the amount of images from each member. If that happens we will announce it before MemberShare begins, and hope for your understanding.
Meeting Date & Time
- Zoom Online Video Meeting (for members only)
- More information about our online meetings is here: Online Meetings
- If you never used Zoom before, you can download the client software here.
- Members will receive a link to join the meeting via email
- Date: Saturday, September 19, 2020
- 9.30 AM opening of meeting (please join early if you never used Zoom before!)
- 10 AM start of meeting & main presentation