Inspired by Lauri Novak’s talk from March and the photographic exercises she mentioned, the photo quest for our members in April 2022 is a photographic study of a household item.
Pick any household item you like, study it with camera and lens, and photograph it creatively. This can be a pen, scissors, a knife, gardening tools, etc. etc. — but to make things more interesting: we want FOUR photos, and we want them SQUARE cropped. Study the item from different angles, with different lenses, different magnifications, different depth of field… whatever you can think of.
Summary: make FOUR different photos of a SINGLE household item, and present them in square format.
- MAKE NEW PHOTOS for the quest – no digging in the archives!
- Your photos MUST be made in the month of April 2022
- Photos must be in SQUARE format
- Send FOUR individual photos (don’t make a collage)
- If desired, NUMBER the files in the order you would like them to appear in a 2×2 grid
- Color, black & white, DSLR, mirrorless, phone… doesn’t matter
- Send high-res JPEG files, good quality, sRGB color space
- No digital art/compositing
Before you submit your photos: please take a look at our guide on file names, format, titles, metadata. We expect technically solid photography without obvious flaws and distractions: have fun, but honestly self-evaluate. Take pride in your work!
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask — simply leave a comment below. Good luck and good light!
Our monthly Photo Quest is a members-only photographic scavenger hunt. Current members will receive a submission link in their email with the theme announcement, at the beginning of each month. If you want to participate, please join the Sierra Club Photo Section.