Since photography itself is a flat rendition, the silhouette, defined as “a two-dimensional representation of the outline of an object, filled in with black (or another color)”, is perhaps one of the creative expressions that comes most easily to photography, and – who would have guessed it – the theme for our monthly photo quest in June 2019 is: Silhouettes.
- Make a new photo for the quest – no digging in the archives! Get out with the camera!
- Your photo must be made between now and June 30th, 2019
- This is a members only activity (a link to submit your photo will be in your email inbox)
- Only one submission per member, please
- give your submission a descriptive filename (optionally, add title & caption via IPTC fields)
- Color, black & white, DSLR, mirrorless, phone… doesn’t matter, but please…
- no digital art/compositing
Please make sure that your photo matches the definition & idea of a silhouette, and its photographic expression: a good starting point for a silhouette photo is to place your (dark) subject against a bright background, and then expose for the bright background (not the subject) – letting the subject fall (much) into underexposure. Voila, there’s your silhouette! (ideally;-). If you have any questions, feel free to ask in our Facebook group.
From your submissions, our curator (vice-chair Alexander S. Kunz) will hand-pick up to three photos that interpret the theme best, and show them at the beginning of our MemberShare slideshow (for the June quest, photos will be shown at the July meeting).
Here is a Cottonwood tree, silhouetted against the dawn sky, in San Diego’s back country:
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.