New month, new monthly photo quest! This month, we’re looking for…
“The Beauty of Trees.”
Your mission (should you choose to accept it)
- Head out with the camera and make a photo that shows the beauty of trees
- Between now and September 30th, 2018
- Make a new photo for the photo quest – no digging in the archives!
- Send it to us (Dropbox file request will be in your email)
- Black & White or Color, Horizontal, Square, Vertical
- Phone, DSLR, mirrorless, compact? Camera doesn’t matter.
Tips & Tricks
- Where to find beautiful trees:
- Sycamores, willows & oaks in many of San Diego’s riparian canyons (Tecolote, Los Penasquitos, etc.)
- Torrey Pines State Natural Preserve & the surrounding areas (Crest Canyon etc.)
- Oaks in the back country (Ramona, Jamul, Julian…)
- Forests with Jeffrey Pine, Coulter Pine & more in the Laguna Mountains and at Mount Palomar
- Exposure: trees provide shade, the light that shines through their branches is very bright by comparison. Preserve the highlights and underexpose. Then bring the shadows up on the computer.
- Composition & Design:
- try to organize the chaos of branches and twigs. Find lines that run through your photo, connect the corners, provide a flow
- look for the low sun & warm light in the morning & afternoon – terrific for backlight situations!
- turn the hard contrasts of mid day into a stark black & white rendition
- focus on textures and details in a close-up
- Questions: feel free to discuss the quest in our Facebook group!
Have fun, good light, and show us the beauty of trees the way you see it.