It’s August and in the heat and (hopefully also) monsoonal humidity of summer, we’re asking you to FREEZE! for our monthly photo quest.
should you choose to accept it: make a photo that freezes action or any kind of motion, like with a very fast shutter speed. Show us what the human eye can’t see, with your camera.
- Water is an excellent subject for this quest, obviously: every drop of water and every ripple on the water surface are tack-sharp and well defined in Jonathan Fennell’s photo of the surfer, above.
- Make a photo of your dog in mid air while it jumps for a toy, or runs (just don’t overexert the pooch too much in the heat of summer, please)
- Experiment with water drops in your kitchen sink (use that flash!)
- Take the camera into the backyard: our board member Tom will briefly touch on the subject making hummingbird photos, at our next Happy Hour
- Make a new photo for the quest – no digging in the archives!
- Your photo MUST be made between now and August 31st, 2020
- This is a members only activity (a link to submit your photo will be in your email inbox)
- Only one submission per member, please
- Give your submission a descriptive filename and/or add add title & caption via IPTC fields
- Color, black & white, DSLR, mirrorless, phone… doesn’t matter, but please…
- no digital art/compositing
We expect technically solid photography without obvious flaws (take care of accurate focus & sharpness, proper exposure, balanced composition, keep your work free from digital processing artifacts like halos, sensor dust, etc.). Have fun, but also take pride in your work.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask – simply leave a comment below, or ask in our member forum.
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.