The end of Daylight Saving Time means not only shorter days and the need to adjust your camera’s time. 😉 On the plus side, sunset and the beautiful “Blue Hour” before dawn and after sunrise are within easy reach now. You can make twilight photos and still be home in time for dinner. Let’s take advantage of it!
The theme for our November 2020 Photo Quest is, you may have guessed it by now: Twilight.
Did you know that there are actually three kinds of twilight?
- Astronomical Twilight is really just the very first and very last light in the sky. Here in San Diego, it starts around 1.5 hours before sunrise, and ends about 1.5 hours after sunset.
- Nautical Twilight follows next, when features of the landscape do begin to appear. It starts about 1 hour before sunrise, and ends about 1 hour after sunset here in San Diego.
- The most common one for us photographers is Civil Twilight. The sun’s still behind the horizon but it illuminates the sky already. The sky’s color in turn tints the landscape in beautiful purple, pink or orange. This is also the time during which the clouds will have the most beautiful color.
For the quest, make a photo that clearly conveys the light, colors and mood of twilight.
- Make a new photo for the quest – no digging in the archives!
- Your photo MUST be made between now and November 30th, 2020
- This is a members only activity (a link to submit your photo will be in your email inbox)
- Only one submission per member, please
- Give your submission a descriptive filename and/or add add title & caption via IPTC fields
- Color, black & white, DSLR, mirrorless, phone… doesn’t matter, but please…
- no digital art/compositing
We expect technically solid photography without obvious flaws (take care of accurate focus & sharpness, proper exposure, balanced composition, keep your work free from digital processing artifacts like halos, sensor dust, etc.).
Have fun, but also take pride in your work!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask – simply leave a comment below.
The Photo Section of the Sierra Club San Diego Chapter began in 1984 and has grown to be among the largest photo clubs in San Diego County. Our members are artists, travelers, humanitarians, and conservationists. We support most genres of photography and welcome new members to our group.
Photo Section meetings are held once a month between January and November, with additional club activities throughout the year. For more information, please visit our club calendar page.