Inspired by an element of Jennifer Renwick’s talk last month, our September 2021 Photo Quest theme is a little bit different: we want you to slow down, think more, and create a small project.
Very often, a group of photographs is “more than the sum of its parts” and this month, we’re asking you to submit not just a single image as usual but instead, create a group of 3-5 images. And not just that, but also:
Your photos should be closely tied together.
Here is a selection of common criteria. Your group of images should be tied together by more than just one of them:
- topic or subject (obviously)
- treatment (color, black & white, creative processes)
- orientation (square, horizontal, vertical)
- aspect ratio (3:2, 4:5, 16:9, etc.)
Optionally, you can include a text document with some background and thoughts (keep it brief; one paragraph).
- MAKE NEW PHOTOS for the quest – no digging in the archives!
- Your photos MUST be made in the month of September 2021
- Color, black & white, DSLR, mirrorless, phone… doesn’t matter, but please…
- No digital art/compositing
Before you submit your images, please take a look at our guide on file names, format, titles, metadata. We expect technically solid photography without obvious flaws and distractions: have fun, but honestly self-evaluate. Take pride in your work!
IMPORTANT: do not combine the photographs into a collage. Send single images. Do not add creative borders or digital frames. We will combine the groups of images for presentation here on our website.
When you have your group of photos, send them via Dropbox file request, as usual:
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask — simply leave a comment below.